Mike Sperou, “Confessor” — suffering for Christ; temporarily imprisoned.
While imprisoned for his faith, Mike continues to send ncBc letters of encouragement. A letter from September 2015 is included here.
c. Sept 7, 2015 | Oregon State Penitentiary
From the Lower Levels of Sheol — may grace and peace be yours in fullest measure:
- Thank you all so very much for your faithful and loving support at this difficult and trying time for me — I am physically exhausted, emotionally spent, and psychologically stressed, but spiritually strong, for God’s grace is more than sufficient for me in this present situation.
- Your regular visits and many letters all testify to the fact that your faith is being greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater in my absence.
- You remember that we are not to be surprised by any “fiery ordeal” that comes upon us for our testing as though some strange thing were happening to us, for we know we are destined for such things.
- The actuality of Christian suffering is always much more severe than its possibility beforehand appears to be — but we should not be surprised that God would demand actual proof of our faith from time to time, for only those will be glorified with Him that have also suffered with Him.
- The problem with the contemporary church in America is that it believes that God in Christ is seeking admirers rather than imitators — imitators of His earthly life, with all the suffering and persecution that goes along with it.
- They honor Him with their lips, but their hearts are far from Him.